Microtex electric loco battery
Microtex electric Loco Batteries meet stringent RDSO Standards
Microtex Electric Loco Battery comply with RDSO Specification RDSO/PE/EMU/SPEC/0014-2000 Rev 0 Amdt 1&2
Microtex is ISO 9001:2015 & ISO 14001:2015 certified
Our labs are equipped with state-of-the-art high-quality life cycle testers from world-class suppliers Bitrode and Digatron to ensure our batteries stand meet the required electrical parameters to the test of time.
Electric Loco & EMU Batteries range:
Microtex regularly supply electric Loco batteries
MICROTEX Electric Loco and EMU batteries developed for the Indian Railways are approved by RDSO, Ministry of Railways, Government of India, and are manufactured in PPCP Battery Containers. Microtex Electric Loco Batteries are robust and designed to meet the demanding performance requirement in the Indian Railways. Microtex was the first battery manufacturer to offer electric loco battery in PPCP containers.
Microtex Electric Loco battery with huge Reserve Power
Specially designed and engineered for the railway industry, the Microtex Electric Loco Battery & EMU Battery feature heavy duty plates, with designer alloys to provide a trouble free service life of the battery, making it the choice of the rail industry. The cells are constructed to form 10 volt monoblocs. Each Electric Loco Battery & EMU Battery is hermetically heat sealed to avoid any leakage of electrolyte. Electrolyte leakage causes costly corrosion buildup and leakage currents which could damage the electronics in the locomotive. The foolproof design ensures the Electric Loco Battery & EMU Battery performs without any leakage throughout its service life.
The balanced active materials in the woven gauntlet positive tubular plate design and construction ensure higher capacity in the same space. Built to perform in the stringent requirements of the locomotives, these batteries have been serving the Indian railways since 1994 and are the trusted choice of the railways.
Special designer lead alloys, comprising of very low antimony selenium lead with special grain refiners added, to provide minimum water consumption, ensuring reduced water topping up frequency and making it easier to maintain. The woven engineered gauntlets, with precise porosity, do not rupture or burst in service and are superior to the non-woven gauntlets. The terminals are provided with special antimony alloys to eliminate terminal melting and provide better electrical conductivity minimising internal electrical resistance.
The batteries are tested and approved by RDSO (Research Designs & Standards Organization, Ministry of Railways, Government of India).
Microtex is a Part 1 supplier and supplying batteries to the Indian Railways since 1994.
Key features of Microtex Electric Loco & EMU Batteries
- Positive Plates – Tubular plate with grids cast on High Pressure Die Casting machine at over 100 bar pressure using a proprietary corrosion resistant low maintenance Lead – Antimony – Selenium – Tin Alloy.
- Negative Plates – Pasted Plates using grids cast with proprietary Corrosion resistant Lead Calcium Alloy and Expanders for heavy duty cyclic application.
- Separators – Sleeve separators provide excellent Electrical insulation between the plates with Ultra Low Electrical resistance which reduces the Battery Internal Resistance and enhances battery performance. The Sleeves prevents short circuit between Plates.
- Container – The tough and resilient PPCP container helps the battery absorb the shocks and vibration during Field operations.
- Microporous Vent Plugs – Prevents the escape of acid fumes and mist from the battery and thus ensures low maintenance as well as a corrosion free environment in the vicinity of the battery.
- Polyester Tubular Gauntlets – The tubular positive plates are constructed in high performance Tubular gauntlets with the Active Material being filled in the tubular Bags under controlled vibration, ensuring consistent battery capacity, long life and excellent discharge characteristics.
Salient Features of MICROTEX Electric Loco & EMU Batteries
- The proprietary low antimony lead alloy composition in the grids ensures very low gassing.
- Water loss during operation is minimal ensuring low maintenance and low frequency of topping up with DM water.
- Low Self Discharge characteristics.
- Low Internal Resistance
- Long cyclic life.
- Consistent Capacity during operation
Some of Microtex Electric Loco Battery & EMU Battery features that Electric Locomotive manufacturers in India and abroad look for, include:
- Balanced Active Materials ensure consistent cranking currents & trouble free performance.
- Deep Cycling capabilities with quick recovery from deep discharges
- Easy recharging
- Long service life
- Heavy duty Terminals with tin plated copper inserts which do not melt in service
- Additional feature with Anti corrosion properties
- Extremely low maintenance due to special low antimony alloys
- Rugged PPCP Containers & Covers
- Available in the standard international sizes fits most Locomotives worldwide
- High Pressure Die (150 bar)casted Spine Grids for Tubular Positive Plates.
- Woven Tubular Gauntlets for Tubular plates ensure it will not rupture in service and active material will not leak.
- Special Ceramic Vent Plugs ensure water is trapped & sent back into the cells during gassing when charging
- High quality Copper inserts inside terminal pillars ensure high conductivity & better cranking currents.
- Heavy duty welded intercell connectors with tin plated copper inserts to eliminate melting
Caring for your Electric Loco Battery & EMU Battery
- Overcharging damages cells: Try to use automatic chargers that switch off once the battery reaches its maximum charge.
- If you don’t possess an auto-charger, set a charge time via alarm clock or other means to check the charging progression in incremental periods.
- Check water levels each month: Level checks are particularly easy with Microtex batteries, as the vent plugs are fitted with visual indicator floats marked red & green
- Always use demineralized water.
- Regularly check for corrosion: Our battery terminals are coated for anti-corrosion properties, though, from time to time it may be necessary to clean the terminals
- Take preventative measures: A thin layer of petroleum jelly will protect your battery terminal from corrosion.
Dictating best practices for those who maintain Electric Loco Battery & EMU Battery are one thing, implementing them are another. If you need any more information about other batteries for the Railway industry (or 8v 290Ah battery for end on generation or Diesel Locomotive engine starter batteries) contact our team for personalized information and a custom quote.
the Microtex advantage.
Related blog article
A Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) battery is simply a lead acid battery in which the electrolyte has been immobilised in order to recombine hydrogen and oxygen. It has a sealed construction with pressure release valves to prevent gases from escaping…
Tubular Gel Valve Regulated lead Acid Battery are lead acid batteries with tubular positive plates for cyclic applications and it is sealed for its service life and are maintenance free. The Gel is manufactured in a secret recipe with German technology, where the electrolyte is jellified in a fumed silica base.
A battery is an electrochemical device which stores energy in a chemically bonded structure and releases the energy in the form of electrons resulting from the battery’s chemical discharge reactions. Charging the battery provides the electrons to reform the chemical bonds which are stored in the battery’s active materials.