Here are seven telltale signs that your car battery is dying:
A battery is an important component of a car & often a neglected item. The need for a replacement battery announces itself without warning for many of us and can cause much inconvenience at unexpected moments. Watch out for these 7 telltale signs and you can predict early if your car battery needs a replacement. Since the battery is already installed inside the engine compartment, we need to carry out only such tests which can be done in the same condition. Most users are familiar with this procedure.
- Does not start the engine or makes a slow start with several attempts
- evidence of a build-up of sulphation- open the bonnet and check whether the terminals are corroded or evidence of a build-up of sulphation (white deposit near the terminal)
- Corroded terminals or connectors – check the integrity of the cables too
- Bulged battery container – check whether the container is bulged or damaged in any manner. If no evidence of damage is seen, clean the area, reconnect and try to start the engine. If starting is still slow, the battery is nearing the end of life and needs replacement.
- Dim lights, weak horn or other electrical issues. Switch on the lights and see whether the brightness is diminishing within 2 minutes. The current can be measured with a clip-on ammeter. If there is a gradual fall in current, the battery is nearing the end of life.
- Bad smell from the battery
- An old battery. If 3-4 years have passed after installing the battery, consider a replacement.
In larger installations like stationary applications, where uninterrupted power is essential, replacement is being done after expiry of 5, 10 or 15 years or at other planned intervals based on the type of lead-acid batteries
Share this article if you liked it, on
Check out our complete range of batteries
Read more related articles
To ensure a system that satisfies the usage requirements it is necessary to obtain a reasonably detailed picture of the loading and run time autonomy of the battery. Allowances must be made for the efficiency of the components in the system in converting energy from the input source to the demand on the battery.
OPzS are standby batteries and is generally used to refer Tubular lead Acid Batteries in Transparent SAN containers. These batteries have a cell voltage of 2 volts and connected together to obtain higher voltages, usually used in Power Generating Stations & Substation, Oil & Gas, Nuclear Facilities, Solar and Standby applications.